maison_juillet2021_en_gris.jpg
History

In the spring of 1847 a group of Protestant businessmen, shipbuilders, merchants and clergy called a public meeting to discuss the possibility of buying land for a rural cemetery. The old protestant cemetery located near St. Matthew’s Church on rue Saint-Jean was full and the authorities requested that a new cemetery be established outside the city limits.

 

With the help of the well-known lumber merchant John Gilmour, member of first municipal council of Sillery and the founder of the cemetery, The Quebec Protestant Cemetery Association was created on February 11th 1848. Its first president was George O’Kill Stuart and its objectives were to collect the money necessary to buy land for a new Protestant cemetery and to lay out such a cemetery. The first Board of Directors was a fine example of ecumenical cooperation in the city in 1848. The deed incorporating the new cemetery was registered on May 30th 1849. It was at this time that the new cemetery was officially given the name of Mount Hermon.

Bowen_wix.jpg

Edward Bowen

Lawyer, judge and Chief Justice of the Québec Superior Court,1849-1866. Previous owner of the cemetery land in 1830.

Douglas_wix.jpg

James Douglas

Scottish surgeon and

co-founder of Beauport Asylum in 1845. Member

of 1st Cemetery Board of Directors.

M_Stuart.jpg

George O’Kill Stuart

Lawyer, politician and judge. 1st President of Mount Hermon Cemetery. Judge

of the Vice-Admiralty Court

in 1873.

reglement_wix.jpg

1851 regulations panel

On this cedar panel are laid down the strict rules and regulations applicable to owners of lots and all visitors to Mount Hermon Cemetery. This panel was probably made by the James Alfred Coperman Advertising Compagny Ltd around 1885-90, and is a perfect replica of the first panel, erected in May 1851.

 

It stands, near the entrance to the cemetery, and still can be read today.

RULES AND REGULATIONS OF MOUNT HERMON CEMETERY.

 

Visitors are reminded that these Grounds are appropriated for the Interment of the Dead, and that a strict observance of the proprieties due to the place is therefore indispensable. Visitors will obtain the most favourable view of the grounds by keeping in the broad carriage avenue called the Tour.

  • The gates will be closed at sunset.

  • No vehicle admitted without a ticket.

  • No vehicle is to be driven in the Cemetery at a pace faster than a walk.

  • No person admitted on horseback

  • No horse to be left in the grounds unfastened, posts  being provided.

  • No horse to be taken off the avenues or paths.

  • No refreshments or parties carrying refreshments  are admitted within the grounds.

  • Walking sticks and flowers must be left at the Lodge  on entering.

  • No large assemblies of visitors are admitted except  in case of funerals.

  • No children admitted except accompanied by a Guardian.

  • No smoking is permitted and no dogs allowed in the grounds.

  • No carriages are admitted on Sunday.

  • No person is permitted to pull flowers, or break any trees,  or plants, or to write upon or deface any monument, railing,  or other erection.

  • No persons except Stock and Lot holders and relatives  of those interred in the grounds, will be admitted on Sundays  and not during Divine Service.

  • The Superintendent may require the names of all persons  visiting the grounds.

  • Visitors are requested to enter their names in the register  at the Lodge.

  • No money to be given as a reward for services or attention  to any person in employ of the Cemetery.

  • The Superintendent and all persons acting under him have  full authority and are required to carry all regulations into effect.

  • Trespassers are liable to fine and imprisonment.

         

Quebec, May 1851

Surintendants 

James Millar – First superintendent, 1848 to 1855

Robert Annon Watters – Second superintendent, 1856 to 186 

pann_treggett2_wix.jpg

William

Treggett

James

Treggett

Harold William

Treggett

Ian

Treggett

Brian

Treggett

Pearl Muriel

Gilpin-Treggett

The Treggett family – From 1865 to 2014

 

In the manner of a real dynasty, more than four generations, of the Treggett family have preserved, maintained and embellished the 26 acres of Mount Hermon and its heritage of burial places.

William Treggett – Third superintendent, 1865 to 1908

James Treggett – Fourth superintendent, 1908 to 1933

Harold William Treggett – Fifth superintendent, 1933 to 1961

Ian Graham Treggett – Sixth superintendent, 1961 to 1963

Pearl Muriel Gilpin-Treggett – Seventh superintendent, 1963 to 1965

Brian James Treggett – Eighth superintendent, 1963 to 2014

Over time and with the evolution of practices, the role of the superintendent has significantly changed and has slowly disappeared.

Treggett_Bell_wix.jpg
plaque_treggett_wix.jpg

The Treggett Bell

Placed in grateful testimony to the dedicated work of the four generations of the Treggett family who have acted as surperintendents of this cemetery since 1865.